Saturday, October 2, 2010

Time to talk about those things are supposedly a waste of time

     Video games are an oddly polarizing subject.  I for one am all for them and in turn they take up a good deal of my time.  I enjoy all kinds of video games if they are done right.  I'm an expert at Guitar Hero.  I've beaten all the Halo games on Legendary and all the Mass Effect games multiple times.  I have multiple level 80's in WoW and those are just the tip of the iceberg.

     Now I know as of late the stereotype has been eased and although I would consider myself a bit of a nerd I don't think I fit the stereotype too well.  I have been playing sports my whole life.  I have played football, baseball, basketball, volleyball, bowling, tennis, lacrosse, rugby, and I'm sure more I'm not thinking of at the moment.  I played tennis in college and I still play football today for a semi pro team.  So not to toot my own horn (which I know I've been doing all along), but I am pretty good at sports.  I also have a rather robust social life which mostly involves getting drunk on the weekends and some bar league sports.

     My point here is that the stigma of the gamer is overly exaggerated.  Of course most stereotypes are bred from truth and there are surely the gamers out there that personify the image.  Don't get me wrong I will make jokes all day about any stereotypes including gamers, but thats just what they are, jokes.  People get too caught up with what other people think and too often take what other people say to heart when it is only meant in jest.  I would just like to go on record that a person can be a jock, a drunk, a gamer and at the same not give two shits about what anyone else thinks about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment